This lavender oobleck recipe is the perfect way to teach kids about science, promote the benefits of sensory play and help kids calm down. This screen-free kids activity is perfect for one-year-olds, preschoolers, and grade school kids alike.
After school can be very touch-and-go in our household. Either my kindergartener bursts out of the school doors and jumps into my arms happy. Or, he is so bone tired he acts as though carrying his backpack is too much to do.
Because of this, I have two plans of attack to avoid after school meltdowns:
- We head to a park with lots of snacks and blow off steam there.
- I set up a sensory play activity to promote calmness.
This week, I decided to whip up one of my kids’ favourite sensory play activities – oobleck.
This lavender oobleck recipe is awesome because it’s:
- easy to whip up,
- a great way to teach kids about science (check out why here),
- promotes all the benefits of sensory play,
- smells amazing,
- perfect for one-year-olds, and
Because oobleck can get messy, here are our favourite clean up tips:
- Make your lavender oobleck recipe outside, on top of a disposable table cloth or old sheet.
- Have a bowl of warm water beside your set up to easily wash hands.
- Only use toys and utensils inside the lavender oobleck that are easy to wash and don’t have small crevices.
- Store lavender oobleck in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Use soapy water to clean up any remaining oobleck.
- Dried oobleck scrapes off easily. Use a butter knife to remove any excess, then wash with soapy water.
Lavender Oobleck Recipe | What You Need:
- 2 cups corn starch
- 1 cup water
- plastic bin
- Lavender essential oil
- Food colouring (optional)
How to make the Lavender Oobleck Recipe:
- Dump 2 cups of corn starch into a bin,
- In a separate container combine approximately three drops of lavender essential oil, water and food colouring. You can add each ingredient
intothe oobleck recipe separately. However, we have found it is easier to disperse the oil when it’s already in the water.
- Mix with a wooden spoon, kitchen utensil of your choice or your hands.
- To enjoy this lavender oobleck again, store in an airtight container in the fridge. You may want to add a little more water to get
desiredconsistency. The mixture should last in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
Lavender has calming effects including:
- Reducing stress,
- Increasing positive affect,
- Increasing relaxation.
My kids came home from school and my almost two-year-old joined in. They played outside on our deck for almost an hour. As the sun went down, I was pleased. Not only had they enjoyed