Find out how to make the best glitter slime recipe. It’s fail-proof and such fun sensory play. Plus there’s a fun add-on for St. Patrick’s Day.
My daughter loves all things glittery and gold. So when she came home after school, I had an idea.
One of our favourite ways to unwind and avoid after-school meltdowns is through sensory play. After all three of my kids played with foaming soap, we decided to try our hand at making gold glitter slime.
My daughter was so excited to make something beautiful.
The only problem?
We encountered two slime fails before perfecting the recipe.
First, I tried making gold slime using this vibrant gold acrylic paint we have. Because white school glue is less temperamental than clear glue when making slime, I tried combining white glue and gold paint.
The result? Dripping, gross tan looking slop.
Take two, I tried clear glue with acrylic paint and it just looked weird.
Take three was… well perfect. My daughter said this is the best slime we’ve ever made. And, it’s gorgeous.
This is the best glitter slime recipe because it’s:
- gooey, and
(if ever you’ve made clear slime before, you know how easily it can go wrong).
To avoid a slime fail, make sure to:
- Use equal parts water to clear glue.
- Mix the glitter before adding the activator.
- Add the activator very sparingly.
In honour of St. Patricks Day, we made a pot of gold for the slime. We purchased three terracotta pots at the dollar store and painted them with acrylic black paint.
Materials make the best glitter slime
- 1/2 cup clear school glue
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Borax
- 1 cup warm water
Instructions to make the best glitter slime recipe
- Mix equal parts water and clear school glue. The more slime you want to make the more you will need of both.
- Combine as much glitter as you would like. Mix well.
- In a separate glass or container, mix 1/2 a tsp of Borax into warm water. The hotter the water, the faster the Borax will dissolve. This makes the activator. If you don’t have Borax, follow this recipe.
- Slowly add the activator to the glue-glitter mixture. We added 1 tbs at a time until we reached desired consistency. Unlike white glue slime, if you add too much activator to clear slime, it won’t be stretchy.
- Remove from bowl, add to the pot of gold and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for future use.
My daughter gave this recipe two thumbs up!
If you’re worried about slime clean up, click here.